Contact Us

Contact us today to discuss our competitive rates and FREE estimates for domestic and commercial projects.

Office: 01620 843 804
Mobile: 07899 916 953

VC Electrical Contractors Ltd
15 Muirfield Station 
EH31 2HY

Name *

15 Muirfield Station
Gullane, EH31
United Kingdom

01620 843 804


Read our range of topical monthly blogs providing you with top tips and best practice from our professional and experienced electrical team.

What is an EICR?

Val Chisolm

EICR stands for Electrical Installation Condition Report and its a periodic electrical inspection of your property to make sure everything is working as it should. It examines all electrical installations, reporting any faults that need to be rectified. This report is governed by the British Standard 7671 and this must be adhered to while the inspection is being carried out.

When would you have an EICR carried out?

An EICR Report would carried out on an annual basis, usually on commercial and domestic properties with the goal of ensuring they're safe to use without causing a hazard. An EICR Report can only be carried out by a competently trained and experienced electrician. They must have plenty of experience in dealing with electrical installations and be in a position to give a knowledgable, clear and thorough report on their findings.

What do you need to know?

When the electrician carries out the EICR at your home, he/she will need to disconnect the electricity. This won't be for long, although of course it will depend on how big your property is. Electrical installations are switched off for safety reasons, so expect your electricity to be off for a short time while the checks are being carried out.

Why would you need an Electrical Installation Condition Report?

If you live in domestic property you probably won't need one as it's not statutory, although it is a good idea to have one, so you know everyone is safe when they use the electrical appliances. If you live in rented property, then you will have one on a yearly basis and if you're a landlord it's up to you to make sure this is carried out each year. If you don't and an accident occurs then you are personally liable.

Do you live in a building with multiple occupancy?

It is a statutory requirement to have an EICR if you live in a multiple occupancy property and the testing and report should be carried out once every 5 years. This would also apply if you own a hotel, restaurant or club. Also prisons and hospitals are included, and an EICR should be carried out regularly at these places. If you're premises have public access then any appliances and installation would need to be tested.

VC Electrical – qualified and trained to carry out your EICRs

At VC Electrical we have a highly skilled team of qualified and trained electricians who carry out EICRs on a regular basis. We can test all your appliances and electrical installations and give you a clear, thorough report that will inform you of what's working properly and what isn't. The report should give you a clear indication of what repairs you need to carry out and what you need to do to rectify any faults.

Get in touch with us here at VC Electrical if you need an EICR carried out on your property. You'll always get a first class service from our team and we can explain anything you don't understand clearly so you understand exactly what's going on.