Contact Us

Contact us today to discuss our competitive rates and FREE estimates for domestic and commercial projects.

Office: 01620 843 804
Mobile: 07899 916 953

VC Electrical Contractors Ltd
15 Muirfield Station 
EH31 2HY

Name *

15 Muirfield Station
Gullane, EH31
United Kingdom

01620 843 804


Read our range of topical monthly blogs providing you with top tips and best practice from our professional and experienced electrical team.

What does an EICR cover?

Val Chisolm

An EICR is an electrical installation condition report which is used to check all electrical installations and appliances.

The EICR will cover the following:-

  • All the electrical fittings

  • The consumer unit

  • Light fittings

  • Any visible wiring

  • Socket outlets

Fixed electrical equipment –

  • Panel and storage heaters

  • Boilers

  • Hard wired fire and smoke detectors

EICR Report

Once this report has been carried out, you should be given a copy of the report. This will include the date the inspection was carried out. The address of your house, the name and address of the landlord, if this is applicable, and the name and address of the electrician who’s carried out the inspection. Importantly, this should include evidence of the electrician’s competence to carry out the inspection.

What the classification codes mean

If something doesn’t pass the inspection then the electrician will need to draw attention to this on the report. There are some classification codes used which will show how bad the problem is e.g. C1 for danger C2 for potentially dangerous, that it must undergo repair work to bring it up to standard.

All C1s should be repaired immediately

C1 is serious, and anyone who attempts to use the installation, for whatever reason, is in danger. This must be repaired by someone competent immediately, if possible, then the electrician who discovered the problem in the first place. All C1 issues should be made safe immediately and any C2s are also dangerous and require attention ASAP.

Minor electrical installation works certificate & electrical installation certificate

Any new work that is carried out as a result of any C1s or C2s should be recorded, but on a different report. This is usually recorded on a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. A copy of this should be given to the owner of the property. If any remedial work as a result of any C1s or 2s includes a fuse box replacement (consumer unit), should be recorded on an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Electrical Installation Condition Report

As we have seen the EICR (electrical installation condition report) is an important investigation into your electrical installation and needs a professionally qualified electrician to carry it out. This is important, because when it comes to filling in the report, the electrician will have to provide evidence that he’s qualified to carry it out.

In all likelihood a property will need an EICR if it is an old building with old electrical installations, wiring and sockets. If you’re about to move into such a building then get in touch.

If you’re home hasn’t had an EICR since you moved in, then you should have a report carried out on your current installation. If you’re a landlord, then it will be compulsory by 1st December of this year (2015) for you to carry out an EICR on your property.

We therefore advise that you think carefully about who you hire to carry out this important report. If you need any further advice on the EICR, then please do get in touch with us, and if you do decide to go ahead with one, then we’d be happy to carry out the report on your behalf. We are NICEIC registered electricians and we are all fully qualified and experienced.